Michigan Building Code, Permit & License Information
Updated: Jan. 12, 2023
State Code Agency:
Michigan Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) – Bureau of Construction Codes
2501 Woodlake Circle
Okemos, MI 48864
Fax: (517) 373-2129
What is Michigan Building Code?
- 2018 Michigan Plumbing Code
- 2015 Michigan Building Code
- 2015 Michigan Residential Code
- 2015 Michigan Energy Code
- 2015 Michigan Mechanical Code
- 2015 Michigan Rehabilitation Code for Existing Buildings
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
- 2012 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2006 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- 2017 National Electric Code (NEC) – 2017, effective January 4, 2019. The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) has updated the MI Part 8 Rules Electrical Code (2017 NEC) for 3-family and larger and commercial structures in the state.
- State Energy Code 2015 IECC and 90.1-2013
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 101 Life Safety Code 2012
Applicability (statewide, local, limited): STATEWIDE
Plan review, enforcement and inspection is provided statewide, but in most cases the local municipalities provide the enforcement services on behalf of the State. The State provides a Statewide Jurisdiction List to assist users of the code with their permitting needs.
State inspectors exist for projects where local code officials do not provide inspection.
|State Licensing||License required for Residential Contractor and all Electrical and Plumbing Trades.|
|State Licensing Division||https://www.michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/|
|State Fire Marshall||https://www.michigan.gov/lara/bureau-list/bfs|
|State Environmental Permit||https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/business/permits/environmental|
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming