Kansas Building Code, Permit & Licensing Information
Updated: Jan 11, 2023
What is Kansas Building Code Current Edition?
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2015 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2015 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2015 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
- 2015 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2015 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2012 International Private Sewage Disposal Code (IPSDC)
- There is no statewide adoption of the NEC in Kansas. 2008 NEC was adopted by the state for state-owned buildings 2/4/11, but local jurisdictions can adopt and enforce different codes.
- State Energy Code Home rule – No statewide code
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 101 Life Safety Code 2012
The State of Kansas does not enforce a statewide building code, but authorizes local jurisdictions to adopt local building codes. State Fire Marshal enforces building codes for state owned buildings. Only the Kansas Fire Prevention Code is mandatory statewide. Local jurisdictions may amend the fire code to make it more stringent.
The Kansas Codes Collaborative is a stakeholder group that will help the Energy Division improve its energy codes compliance program and identify additional strategies to support energy codes compliance in local jurisdictions.
Applicability (statewide, local, limited): LIMITED
Codes are adopted and enforced locally. All local jurisdictions can make any amendments they deem necessary in their jurisdictions.
Kansas Building Code Agency:
No State code agency. State Fire Marshal enforces building codes for state owned buildings.
|State Licensing||No state license for general contracting. All businesses must register with the Department of Revenue.|
|State Licensing Division||No state license for general contracting. All businesses must register with the Department of Revenue.|
|State Fire Marshall||https://firemarshal.ks.gov/|
|State Environmental Permit||https://www.kdhe.ks.gov/158/Division-of-Environment|
Kansas Construction Code by County
Additional Building Codes by State
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming