Maryland Building Code and Licensing
Updated: Jan. 11, 2023
Maryland Codes Administration:
Norman Wang, RA, Director of Codes Administration
Department of Labor
Division of Labor and Industry
Building Codes Administration
1100 N. Eutaw Street, Room 606
Baltimore, MD 21201
What Are The Current Maryland Building Codes Adopted:
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Private Sewage Disposal Code (IPSDC)
- 2012 International Green Construction Code
- 2017 National Electric Code (NEC) – Adoption of 2018 edition of I-codes and other codes, includes the 2017 NEC, effective 2/7/20.
- State Energy Code 2018 IECC and 90.1-2016
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 101 Life Safety Code 2018
Applicability (statewide, local, limited): STATEWIDE
Maryland’s law related to building codes is called the Maryland Building Performance Standards (MBPS). It requires each jurisdiction in Maryland to use the same edition of the same I-codes.
The Department of Housing and Community Development is the state wide adopting authority. Local jurisdictions can amend the state codes to suit local conditions with the exception of the 2018 IECC and the MD Accessibility Code. Both codes can be made more stringent. Local jurisdictions can amend but must adopt the new editions although no penalties occur should a jurisdiction fail to adopt in a timely manner.
State of Maryland adoption of 2018 edition of I-codes and other codes, under Maryland Building Performance Standards and Model Performance Code, has become final in the Maryland Register, Volume 46, Issue 6, March 15, 2019 with an effective date of March 25, 2019.
Please review the information found here for code adoption: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/build/buildadmin.shtml
Maryland building code is mandatory covering all building construction in state, however local jurisdictions may adopt amendments to the codes.
|State Licensing||License required for electrical, plumbing, HVACR, and home improvement.|
|State Licensing Division||https://www.dllr.state.md.us/|
|State Fire Marshall||https://mdsp.maryland.gov/firemarshal/Pages/StateFireMarshalsWelcome.aspx|
|State Environmental Permit||https://mde.maryland.gov/Pages/index.aspx|
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming