Department of Labor and Industry
301 S. Park, Room 430
Fax: (406) 841-2050


Montana Permit, Building Code and Licensing Information

State Website
State Licensing Businesses must register with the Secretary of State. No state license is required for general contracting. Licensure is required for plumbing, electrical, and crane operating trades.
State Building Code The State of Montana has adopted the 2012 International Building Code (IBC), the 2012 International Residential Code (IRC), the 2012 International Mechanical Code (IMC), the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC), the 2014 National Electrical Code (NEC), the 2012 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC), the 2012 International Energy Conversation Code (IECC), and the 2012 International Existing Building Code (IEBC).
State Licensing Division
State Fire Marshall
State Environmental Permit