Kentucky Permit Building Code Licensing Information

Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction
101 Sea Hero Road Suite 100
Phone: 502-573-0373
Fax: 502-573-1059


State Website
State Licensing No state license for general contracting. License required for plumbing, and HVAC.
State Building Code The State of Kentucky has adopted the 2006 International Building Code (IBC), the 2006 International Residential Code (IRC), the 2006 International Fire Code (IFC), the 2006 International Mechanical Code (IMC), the 2006 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) and the 2006 International Energy  Conservation Code (IECC).

Kentucky, with amendments, has adopted the 2006 editions of IBC and IRC statewide. In the KBC (Kentucky Building Code) the state has adopted by reference the 2006 editions of the IMC and IECC. The 2006 IFC is utilized for new construction projects. While the Kentucky codes are applicable statewide, enforcement is only mandatory statewide for commercial buildings.IECC:  bldgs other than
1&2 family regulated by the KRC.

State Licensing Division
State Fire Marshall
State Environmental Permit


  • Contact Us