West Virginia Permit, Building Code and Licensing Information

West Virginia Legislature
Room MB-27, Building 1, State Capitol Complex
Phone: 304-347-4836
Fax: 3043474901


West Virginia Permit, Building Code and Licensing Information

State Websitehttp://www.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx
State Licensing Construction contractors have to be licensed in West Virginia.
State Building CodeThe State of West Virginia has adopted the 2009 International Building Code (IBC), the 2009 International Residential Code (IRC), the 2009 International Mechanical Code (IMC), the 2009 International Plumbing Code (IPC), the 2009 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC), the 2003 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), the 2009 Interational Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) and the 2009 International Existing Building Code.

West Virginia, through the WV Fire Commission, has the regulatory authority to adopt the state’s building and fire codes. The Commission has adopted statewide the 2009 editions of IBC, IRC, IMC, IFGC, IPC, IPMC and IEBC for any jurisdiction that chooses to enforce building codes as well as the ’03 IECC.The State Fire Commission passed a resolution in April of 2008 to encourage all counties and municipalities to utilize the 2006 I‐Codes. The IPMC also has been adopted statewide but enforcement is optional. As the Fire Code, the Fire Commission has adopted the entire collection of the NFPA codes and standards excepting NFPA 5000 and NFPA 900 and NFPA 101A. The WV Fire code applies to both new and existing construction and whenever there is a conflict between the State Building Code (Title 87 Series 5b) and the State Fire Code (Title 87 Series1), the fire code takes precedence.

State Licensing Divisionhttp://wvlabor.com/newwebsite/pages/index.html
State Fire Marshalhttp://www.firemarshal.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx
State Environmental Permithttp://www.dep.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx


  • Blog Categories