County of Los Angeles

Restaurant Liquor License

Application Guide

How Los Angeles restaurants can get a liquor license

To sell beer and wine in the County of Los Angeles, restaurants must obtain a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) from the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning, and a Type 41 liquor license from California’s Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC). The application process for each is entirely different.

It can be a daunting, confusing, and time-intensive journey if you’ve never applied for a liquor license before (and even if you have).

PLEASE NOTE: This guide is only for restaurants outside of the City of Los Angeles jurisdiction. If you are within the City of Los Angeles, click here to access the correct course.

A DIY Solution

A permit expeditor may charge north of $6,500 to manage this entire process for you. But, for those restaurants on a budget, we wanted to offer an alternative option.

We developed a guide that will introduce and walk you through how to put together complete, accurate applications that have the best chance of getting reviewed and approved quickly.

You’ll receive step-by-step instructions on how to fill out all required application forms, along with a list of documents needed and other valuable resource materials.

Learn How

LA County Conditional Use Permit (CUP) Application Walk Through

This video will introduce you to the conditional use permit (CUP) application process that all restaurants in Los Angeles County and outside of the City of Los Angeles jurisdiction need to complete to sell and serve alcohol.

California ABC Type 41 Beer & Wine Only Liquor License Applications

This video will help you saves time and frustration by walking you step-by-step through completing the 10+ ABC Type 41 application forms. When done, you’ll have a fully built-out application ready to turn into the California ABC for review and approval.

Download the Guide

Is this guide right for you?

This course bundle is specifically for restaurants in Los Angeles County who are outside of the City of Los Angeles jurisdiction and want to sell and serve beer and wine only. For the City of Los Angeles course, click here.

A CUP is a LA County entitlement, and the ABC Type 41 license pertains to restaurants that plan to sell beer and wine for consumption onsite or off. More specifically:

  • Beer and wine sales only (No distilled spirits may be on premises except for brandy, rum, or liqueurs used for cooking only).
  • Must operate and maintain a suitable kitchen equipped to serve ordinary meals (versus only appetizers).
  • Meal sales must comprise more than 51% of sales.
  • With this license, minors are allowed on premises.

If this doesn’t apply to you, do not enroll in this course. Contact us to learn more about your options.

Related Resource

LA Restaurant Permits

Complete Guide to LA Restaurant Permitting

If you’re opening a restaurant in LA, check out our Complete Guide to Los Angeles Restaurant Building Permits.