City of Los Angeles

Restaurant Liquor License

Application Courses

How Los Angeles restaurants can get a liquor license

To sell beer and wine in the City of Los Angeles, restaurants must obtain a Conditional Use Alcoholic Beverage (CUB) permit from the City of Los Angeles Department of City Planning, and a Type 41 liquor license from California’s Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC). Both departments are independent of one another, and the application processes are entirely different.

It can be a daunting, confusing, and time-intensive journey if you’ve never applied for a liquor license before (and even if you have).

PLEASE NOTE: This course is only for restaurants within the City of Los Angeles jurisdiction. If you are outside of the City of Los Angeles but in Los Angeles County, click here to access the correct course.

A DIY Solution

A permit expeditor may charge north of $6,500 to manage this entire process for you. But, for those restaurants on a budget, we wanted to offer an alternative option.

We developed two courses that will introduce and walk you through how to put together complete, accurate applications that have the best chance of getting reviewed and approved quickly.

You’ll receive step-by-step instructions on how to fill out all required application forms, along with a list of documents needed and other valuable resource materials.

Save 20% By Bundling

The following two courses are available independently, but we’ve bundled them together to help you save. 

Conditional Use Alcoholic Beverage (CUB) Application Walk Through

This course will guide you to the conditional use alcoholic beverage (CUB) application process that all restaurants in the City of Los Angeles need to complete to sell and serve alcohol.

California ABC Type 41 Beer & Wine Only Liquor License Applications

This course saves time and frustration by walking you step-by-step through completing the 10+ ABC Type 41 application forms. When done, you’ll have a fully built-out application ready to turn into the California ABC for review and approval.

Course Options

Different business structures are required to complete different forms. For that reason, we have four slightly different versions of the course bundle. 

Sole Owner

Limited Partnerships & Trusts

Limited Liability Companies


Are these courses right for you?

This course bundle is specifically for restaurants in the City of Los Angeles who want to sell and serve beer and wine only. If you are in Los Angeles County, but outside of the City of Los Angeles jurisdiction, click here for the correct course

A CUB is a City of Los Angeles specific entitlement, and the ABC Type 41 license pertains to restaurants that plan to sell beer and wine for consumption onsite or off. More specifically:

  • Beer and wine sales only (No distilled spirits may be on premises except for brandy, rum, or liqueurs used for cooking only).
  • Must operate and maintain a suitable kitchen equipped to serve ordinary meals (versus only appetizers).
  • Meal sales must comprise more than 51% of sales.
  • With this license, minors are allowed on premises.

If this doesn’t apply to you, do not enroll in this course. Contact us to learn more about your options.

Related Resource

LA Restaurant Permits

Complete Guide to LA Restaurant Permitting

If you’re opening a restaurant in LA, check out our Complete Guide to Los Angeles Restaurant Building Permits.